Forums Forums Newbies & FAQs Couple newb question

  • Author
  • Jeff HarringtonJeff Harrington
    Post count: 1

    Hi all, long time listener, first time caller. I’m new to area and excited to get back into autox. Just had a couple quick questions…..I want to order some door magnets and was curious if its neccessary to have anything else besides my number and class (CS) like an “N” for example if I run novice? Lastly I still have my old full face helmet which is pristine but rated M2005. Will that be ok or is that outdated? I saw in the rules that an M rating is ok but didn’t see anything about age? Thank you for your time, look forward to meeting everyone next month.

  • Keith YoungTEAMEFFORT
    Post count: 1421

    Hi Jeff and welcome
    A good place to get vinyl door magnets and numbers is Vinyl Vision Concepts LLC. 333 776-7795 Brent is a autocross-er him self and will work with you to get the right size and color ect. There are other places to buy it as well. You will need numbers & letters for the class you run and a (N) for novice. IE NCS 92 This is Novice CS class #92.

    Requirements for cars:

    Numbers must be a minimum of 8″ high with a 1.25″ stroke.
    Class letters must be a minimum of 4″ high with a 0.75″ stroke.
    The color must be of sufficient contrast to the color of the car.
    Class letters should be placed to the left of the numbers.
    All PAX class identifiers (N, P, T) must be placed before the class letters.
    Class letters and numbers must be on both sides of the car on the doors or body panels (windows are not acceptable locations).

    Jeff Here is what I found under the Novice listing for Helmets

    HSCC has a few loaner helmets that can be used if you do not have one or forget one. These helmets vary in size and condition (they were donations after all). Having your own helmet is much more convenient. Helmets require a DOT rating at a minimum and they must cover your ears. Almost any motorcycle helmet is okay to use, however, “brain buckets” are prohibited. Open or closed face helmets are okay (purely driver preference).

    Jeff Here is what I found under the Highlands Sports Car Club Autocross Rules

    3.13 Helmets: Copied from the SCCA Solo Rule book Helmets meeting the following standards must be worn while on course: All helmets meeting the current or two immediately preceding Snell Foundation standards (SA, K, or M), or SFI standards 31.1A, 31.2A, 41.1A, or 41.2A are acceptable. For maximum protection, helmets must fit securely and should provide adequate peripheral vision. The chin strap must be securely fastened. Loaner helmets are available to vehicle occupants not having their own.
    Look forward to seeing you at the events this year.

  • Chris PolhamusChris Polhamus
    Post count: 350

    Jeff, your helmet will be fine. Class numbers and letters can also be made out of magnetic vent covers (if the color contrasts with your car). Number and letter templates are on the Club homepage under (Car Numbers). on eBay is also a good source.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.