Forums Forums Newbies & FAQs 2019 Novice Class change

• Author

Attention, last night we decided to change how we run Novice Class. This new structure will be added to the updated rules shortly. The goal is to lower the barrier of entry, eliminate first-timer confusion and to encourage people to participate in more than 1 event. Competitors meeting the minimum requirements for event attendance will be eligible for year-end awards. Don’t worry about classing, we can help with that later. A newcomer to the sport is not required to run in Novice.

The new Novice Rules:

Competitors are eligible for novice class if they have run three or fewer autocross events before the beginning of the autocross season. If a novice wins an open class at an autocross event, the driver is no longer eligible for novice class. No competitor is required to compete in novice. Novice uses Raw time to determine overall finishing position. The novice class will be split up as necessary to balance run groups. Novice group assignments will be announced at check in, during drivers meeting, or posted on the trailer for review. All entrants in the novice class must have a unique number. Class will be shown as an N, followed by the car number (N 28, N 128, N 42, etc.).

Your car must pass tech inspection and have legible numbers and letters. Don’t worry about classing, just come out and have fun. For those already registered for the first event, we have reclassed you to this new format. Please feel free to post questions.

Thanks,
    Chris

• mattschildsmattschilds
    Participant

Thats a big change to a class that saw a lot of participation last year. Night series had 7 folks qualify for year end. Day series had at least 5. At least half the people that ran one, ran more than one.

<<Novice uses Raw time to determine overall finishing position.>>
    <<encourage people to participate in more than 1 event>>
    I find it interesting you tossed out PAX so the guy running a slow stock car has to compete heads up with a highly modified or just a much faster car. That would seem to disincentivize someone from running the class if they see they have no chance running a stock FWD hatch with 150 hp against a RWD Mustang etc with 400 hp. I don’t think this helps accomplish your goal of having people run more than one event.

<<If a novice wins an open class at an autocross event, the driver is no longer eligible for novice class. >>
    A bit more definition of this rule, or getting rid of it, would help. The way I read this if you are the only one in a class you win by default and get bumped out of novice? How about winning an open class with at least 3 other competitors? Even better, if you qualify at the beginning of the season you can run the class for the year. I am pretty sure there were several of us in Novice last year that would have won their open class so the rule doesn’t seem to be enforced anyway.

My first choice on the way to run novice class is to say once you win one, assuming at least 3 people enter the class, you are gone. If there was an opportunity to convert your finishes into an open class that would promote people running the rest of the series. At that point the no PAX idea makes more sense.

This seems to get to your goals:
    Keeping it simple for the first time person by not having to figure out class. It would add some work for the Novice steward (do we have one of those?) to help the drivers figure out what class they belong in.
    Getting fast folks out of Novice and into an open class, with their points, so they will run the series for points.
    Getting fast folks out of Novice so the new drivers don’t feel so hopeless.

<<The novice class will be split up as necessary to balance run groups.>>
    Classes ought to run together, even if they are novices.

For those of us that can’t get out to the meetings on Wednesday night it would be nice to be able to comment on rule changes before they are adopted. Posting them here as proposed changes and taking comments for a period of time would be nice.

Anyway, I enjoy running with the club, and I can’t run Novice anymore so…… Just my eighty five cents worth.

• Chris PolhamusChrisP

Thanks Matt. Some of those concerns were addressed and likewise, with PAX a 150 hp hatch could place first over the 400 hp Mustang, even though the Mustang was faster raw. We have a lot of folks who run once and don’t return. Feedback is that PAX doesn’t make sense and neither does classing. The goal is to get people hooked then deal with classing, similar to the way CCR and ETR do. Art has been the designated Novice Steward and I am the desinganted clsssing guy. There is a desire to get fast folks into open classes. Small mods have big impacts with classing and we’ve miss classes a bunch of first-timers due to undisclosed modifications.

As for splitting the group, Novice tends to be our largest single group. Because of that, we usually run them with their base class, so it’s been a long time since Novices ran together. This really doesn’t change that.

The “win open can’t compete in Novice anymore” has been a long standing rule. I bumped myself out of Novice my first season due to this – no novices at Bele Chere, I ran GS with 1 other and won. So this rule has been retained. Not awarding points/trophies for single participant classes is another discussion all together.

We will monitor the results this season and make adjustments as necessary.

Again, thanks for the feedback! See you in April.

• mattschildsmattschilds
    Participant

<<We will monitor the results this season and make adjustments as necessary.>>
    Just things to think about as you are monitoring

I agree, you are classing the way CCR and ETR do it.
    CCR has no year end for Novice but has a 6 event Rookie class, which does use class and Pax, you can get into the Rookie class after 3 events as a Novice. The novice school counts as an event.
    ETR has a win novice class twice, bump to open rule.
    In both of those scenarios no Pax makes a lot of sense.
    If you are going to do a year end Novice series it doesn’t make as much sense.

CCR does an amazing job for the Novice class. They designate people with work assignments to help the Novice class. They get experienced drivers in the cars until the new drivers get comfortable. They put them in their own row on grid so the Novice workers can keep up with the class. They give Novices an extra run. Those things are going to get people back for more events.

<<The “win open can’t compete in Novice anymore” has been a long standing rule.>>
    Just because it’s an old rule, doesn’t mean it’s a good rule (;-)
    If novice has no class, which open class do you look at? The one the car belongs in? Now they have to figure out class anyway.
    IMO that rule makes no sense with the new Novice class setup. Getting rid of rules that are not enforced or just don’t make sense is a good idea.

<<Not awarding points/trophies for single participant classes is another discussion all together.>>
    It would be a good discussion to have. Racing is a lot more fun and keeps people engaged when you have competition. I think my only logical choices for class are H Street, which gets very few people entering, or Pro. I am probably going to run Pro and get my posterior handed to me just to have some people in the class to run with.

Thanks for the conversation.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.